Anyone interested in war stories might want to pick this Kindle book up for $3.
In time for the 2014 centennial of the start of the Great War, this book brings to life the brave and often surprising exploits of 16 fascinating women from around the world who served their countries at a time when most of them didn’t even have the right to vote. Readers meet 17-year-old Frenchwoman Emilienne Moreau, who assisted the Allies as a guide and set up a first-aid post in her home to attend to the wounded; Russian peasant Maria Bochkareva, who joined the Imperial Russian Army by securing the personal permission of Tsar Nicholas II, was twice wounded in battle and decorated for bravery, and created and led the all-women combat unit the “Women’s Battalion of Death” on the eastern front; and American journalist Madeleine Zabriskie Doty, who risked her life to travel twice to Germany during the war in order to report back the truth, whatever the cost. These and other suspense-filled stories of brave girls and women are told through the use of engaging narrative, dialogue, direct quotes, and document and diary excerpts to lend authenticity and immediacy.
Movies & TV
- Mad Max: Fury Road ($20) | Amazon
- Mad Max: Fury Road 3D ($25) | Amazon
- Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas - 20th Anniversary Edition ($15) | Amazon
- Interstellar ($10) | Amazon
- Wet Hot American Summer ($8) | Amazon
- Transformers: Age of Extinction ($10) | Amazon
- Men in Black 3 3D ($10) | Amazon
- Frankenweenie ($10) | Best Buy
- Ace Ventura Double Feature (Pet Detective / When Nature Calls) ($8) | Amazon
- Pretty Woman ($9) | Amazon
- Friday The 13th: Complete Collection ($80) | Best Buy
- Entourage: The Complete Series [DVD] ($80) | Best Buy
Books & Magazines
- Women Heroes of World War I: 16 Remarkable Resisters, Soldiers, Spies, and Medics (Women of Action) [Kindle] ($3) | Amazon
- Put ‘em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling [Kindle] ($3) | Amazon
- Hush Little Baby [Kindle] ($2) | Amazon
- Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Series #1) [Nook] ($5) | Barnesandnoble
- Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success Audiobook ($2) | Audible
Commerce Content is independent of Editorial and Advertising, and if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale. Click here to learn more. We want your feedback.
Send deal submissions to Deals@Gawker and all other inquiries to Shane@Gawker.